Bromham has a narrow bridge of 26 arches, a bottleneck for heavy traffic, and spanning not only the river but the low-lying flood area. The part over the river dates from early mediaeval times; in 1281 a hard frost caused it to give way, and a woman fell through and was carried down to Bedford on an ice floe. Over the flood area there was till 1813 only a six-foot causeway. In that year the causeway was widened to make the present long bridge (architect Robert Salmon). Nearby stands the old mill.
In the distance in its park we glimpse the 16th century Bromham Hall. It was the home of the Dyve family, staunch Royalists. When the Civil War broke out, a parliamentary squad was sent to seize Sir Lewis. He fought his way out with armed men, crying "that he was commanded by the king, and whosoever stayed him he would kill him". Later a legend grew up that he escaped by swimming the river. When, in the war's closing stages, the Parliament imprisoned him in the Tower, he strove to plot on the king's behalf.
The Dyves were followed by the Trevors. Thomas Trevor, who died in 1730, was the first chief justice to be made a peer. The park, in which Hall and church stand, was his creation.
We proceed through the village, which, like Biddenham, lies away from the main road and has had much new building. It still keeps some thatched cottages and a pleasant green with trees. Entering the park, we find the church on rising ground with a lovely view over the river below. Over the porch is a priest's room, which houses a fine old parish library, given by Lord Trevor. The chancel is recent, but the nave is 13th century, and the tower somewhat later. We find an unusual piscina and a 15th century font. On the chancel floor is a "puzzle" brass: it shows an exceptionally fine armoured knight between two ladies, and purports to be Sir John Dyve, 1535, but was in fact reappropriated for him, and was origin-ally made for Thomas Wydvile a century earlier. There is a hand-some recumbent alabaster figure of Lewis Dyve, 1603 (not the royalist) ; and on the wall a dignified monument to Lord Trevor. One or two bench-end carvings survive, and also a very old poor box in a glass case.